Latest #baldeagle Posts
- Mature bald eagle preparing for takeoff.
13 hours ago
- There is something majestic about the flight of a solo bald eagle. Like many other birds, early American settlers wiped them out in large numbers. Coupled with the loss of nesting habitat, bald eagle populations declined. In 1940, noting that the species was “threatened with extinction,” Congress passed the Bald Eagle Protection Act, which prohibited killing, selling, or possessing the species. A 1962 amendment added the golden eagle, and the law became the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act. By 1963, with only 487 nesting pairs of bald eagles remaining, the species was in danger of extinction. Loss of habitat, shooting, and DDT poisoning contributed to the near demise of this species.
As the dangers of DDT became known, in large part due to the 1962 publication of Rachel Carson’s book Silent Spring, the Environmental Protection Agency took the historic and, at the time, controversial step of banning the use of DDT in the United States in 1972.
Following enactment of the Endangered Species Act of 1973, the Service listed the species in 1978 as endangered throughout the lower 48 states, except in Michigan, Minnesota, Oregon, Washington, and Wisconsin where it was designated as threatened. “Endangered” means a species is considered in danger of extinction throughout all or a significant portion of its range. “Threatened” means a species is considered likely to become endangered within the foreseeable future, but is not currently in danger of extinction.
In July 1995, the Service announced that bald eagles in the lower 48 states had recovered to the point where those populations previously considered endangered were now considered threatened. On June 28, 2007, the Service announced the recovery of the eagle!
I was recently able to capture this regal bird in flight along a snowy creek gorge in northwestern Pennsylvania.
#KeepExploring #animals #birds #eagle #birdsofprey #naturephotography #pawilds #nwpa #baldeagle #raptors #wildlife #enchanting_forest #wildlife_seekers #rei1440project #naturelovers #travel #master_shots #nature #artofvisuals #royalsnappingartists
#agameoftones #illgrammers #getoutside #folkscenery #birdsofinstagram #flying #Pennsylvania
14 hours ago
- "You can run you can hide never livin inside but it's bound to be tough from the start. Sooner or later that gentle persuader is going to catch up with your heart..." I got up at 5 am yesterday to go take pictures of birds. I find myself up at that time again without it being my intention. Ah well...so it goes...
#nikon #birding #jordanlake #beverittjordanlakedam #wildlifephotography #baldeagle
15 hours ago
- Eagles hanging out on family day in delta bc
19 hours ago
- This is the first time making an edit where I have turned the background into a flat black to make the main subject pop. It's a tedious process of making a fine selection of your subject and what you want viewed by making the channel colour behind it a hard colour (or in my case - flat white) so i can make a selection better.
I then did a colour lookup adjustment, a few refinements and there you have it. One of my most recent hands-on edits.
Would you guys like to see more edits like this? I am striving to refine this process and make it sharper - the nexr post after this I am certain you will love!
19 hours ago