Latest #specialneedsfamilies Posts
- "Hi, this is my wife Jenny. She has hemorrhoids." A divorce-worthy introduction.
The way we describe each other is always important and when you introduce a disabled person it is no different. My very wise friend Elaine Mctaggart describes it as 'meeting each other right'. So why is it so easy for us to slip into introducing a disabled person by their diagnosis or deficits?
Today I was delighted with the article local reporter Paul Fisher, from the Irvine Times wrote about my son. No 'click -bait' headline and we need to get to paragraph 3 before it is even mentioned that James has a genetic condition. Then nothing more is said about it; no deficits, no symptoms. No comment that he's non-verbal or doesn't walk. Because none of that is important for this story about a teenage boy achieving something fantastic within his local community.
The way we introduce the people we love and care for; whether it is our own family or those we work with, or for, in turn affect how others treat them. If we want the world to see disabled people for more than their disability then we need to do our bit in the way we talk about them.
#Caregivers #iamacaregiver #specialneedsparents #specialneedsfamilies #raredisease #specialneedsmom #neurodiversity #asn
6 hours ago
- This is my D. He has autism and is nonverbal at 4 1/2. Omg he is 4 1/2!! 😭 but he sure knows how to get the cuddles he wants.
10 hours ago
- DC BOXING/FITNESS ACADEMY
What a fantastic night at the gym working with Special Families
The boys where absolutely awesome and loved their training session tonight
Don’t forget Ass to grass 😆🥊💥💪🏾 #specialneedsfamilies #Health #Fitness #Boxing #❤️
16 hours ago
- Coffee is always the right answer.
16 hours ago
- Whether anyone has autism or not, anyone will remember those people that have made a major impact on their lives. Hands up if you agree!
22 hours ago
- You don't have to be perfect and you aren't responsible for inspiring others. Give yourself the permission to show up, get messy, struggle, and be fully human.
21 February, 2019
- 👠 👟 👞
20 February, 2019